Christmas recipe serves: 6
calories per serving: 490
preparation time: 30 minutes
cooking time: 2 hours 15 minutes
suitable for freezing (after step 4)
Christmas recipe ingredients:
* shallots or small onions, 225 g (8oz)
* streaky bacon, rindless 225 g (8 oz)
* pheasants, oven ready, brace
* salt and pepper
* oil, 30 ml (2 tbsp)
* butter, 50 g (2 oz)
* garlic cloves, 2
* Madeira, 300 ml (10 fl oz)
* beef stock, 600 ml (1 pint)
* thyme, fresh (sprig) or dried (pinch)
* bay leaves, 2
* juniper berries, 6
* orange, pared rind and juice from 1
* recurrant jelly, 90 (ml) (6 tbsp)
* chestnuts, peeled 225 g (8 oz), canned, frozen or
* garnish, thyme (fresh)
Christmas recipe instructions:
1. Remove the backbone and knuckles from the pheasants and cut
into four pieces each. Season with salt and pepper. Cut up some
bacon and peel the shallots.
2. Brown the shallots and bacon in the butter and oil and put to
one side. Add the pheasant, two pieces at a time and fry until
golden. Then reome the pheasant and put to one side.
3. Add crushed garlic to the casserole dish along with the
stock, thyme, juniper berries, bay leaves, the pared orange rind
and half the Madeira. Heat to boiling and add the pheasant.
Cover and cook at gas mark 3 (170 degrees centigrade, 325 F) for
4. Add the redcurrant jelly, bacon and shallots. Cook for an
additional 45 minutes or until the pheasant is tender.
5. Prepare the marinade by soaking the cranberries and chestnuts
in the remaing Madeira and orange juice for 30 minutes.
6. From the casserole, remove the bacon, vegetables and pheasant
and keep warm. Reduce the remaining liquid till it is syrup
like. Add the marinade from step 5 and simmer for 5 minutes more.
7. To serve, season and pour the sauce over the pheasant, bacon
and vegetables. Garnish with fresh thyme.
About the author:
(c) Paul Curran, CEO of Cuzcom Internet Publishing Group and
webmaster at Gifts-for-Christmas.com, bringing you christmas
recipes and unique
gifts for christmas including their online home collectibles
and russian gifts stores.
This article may be re-published in its entirety as long as the
author bylines in the resource box are included and urls kept